NBA 2K League Overview
• The NBA 2K League, a joint venture between the NBA and Take-Two Interactive, is a professional esports league featuring the best NBA 2K players in the world.
• This is the first official esports league operated by a U.S. professional sports league.
• Brendan Donohue, managing director of the NBA 2K League, oversees all league operations.
• 17 NBA teams will participate in the inaugural season, tipping off on May 1, 2018.
• Teams will compete in 5 v 5 gameplay using unique characters (not existing NBA players).
• The season runs for 17 weeks, beginning in May and ending in August: 12 weeks of weekly matchups, three weeks of in-season tournaments (May 1-5; June 8-9; July 13-14) and two weeks of postseason. o The top eight teams advance to the postseason: semifinals and finals will be best-of-three tournaments.
• Teams play at least one game per week during the weekly matchups (14 total); games consist of four, six minute quarters.
• Teams live in their home markets during the season and fly into one or two central studios each week to compete.
• All NBA 2K League games and tournaments will be streamed on Twitch (twitch.tv/nba2kleague).
• The inaugural NBA 2K League Draft took place on April 4, 2018, at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
• Each team drafted six players from the eligible draft pool.
• The 102 players who make up the first-ever class of NBA 2K League professionals were selected following two stages of qualifying and from 72,000 hopefuls.
• The first stage of qualifying took place from Jan. 1-31. The second stage, known as the NBA 2K League Combine, was held from Feb. 2-21.
• Following the combine, the NBA 2K League identified the top 250 players and held one-on-one interviews with each player. After the interviews, all player information was evaluated by a selection committee and used to determine the 102 players eligible to be drafted.
About NBA 2K
• NBA 2K is currently the highest-rated and best-selling sports title of the current console generation among U.S. sports leagues.
• NBA 2K17 sold approximately nine million copies worldwide, and NBA 2K18 is on pace to be the bestselling edition in franchise history.
• In 2017, NBA 2K18 was the top-selling sports video game in the U.S. and second best-selling overall (behind FIFA).
• 1.6 million daily active users; 5 million monthly.
• The global audience for esports is expected to reach 557 million by 2021, including 250 million esports enthusiasts and 307 million occasional viewers (Source: Newzoo, 2018)
• A number of NBA teams, owners and former players are already looking to the future of the esports industry, investing in esports franchises/holding companies.